Author Topic: List of Cape Town nurseries  (Read 6971 times)

Offline Claus

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
List of Cape Town nurseries
« on: August 08, 2008, 18:29:14 PM »
Following a thread including assistance from Heinie on some nurseries in Cape Town and surrounding, I was wondering where I can find a list of nurseries in Cape Town. Since I am a bit succulent mad my money is mostly spent at Kirstenbosch, Emile in Durbanville, Soekershoef and so on.

However I am keen to find out about new nurseries in and around Cape Town. Heinie mentioned Barry Engelbrech in Hout Bay for daylillies and I am definitely visiting over the weekend. Any other intersting nurseries in that area (I do know about the bonsai nursey - ("who is that unfriendly" woman owning it???). Maybe we can start a list on this forum to promote all the great nurseries of this country??? Last week I went to Stellenbosch and on the way I stumbled across two new nurseries that I had never even heard about before and they were both well worth a visit.

I am expecting lots of assistance from Heinie and Rachel on this one but I hope that others will chip in as well. A nursery as you know can also sometimes be someone who grows and sells plants for a hobby.

I have nothing against Stodels and the other commercial nurseries, but I am looking for the secret "hidden away ones....."

Looking forward to lots of new nurseries to visit!!!! :party:

Heinie

Re: List of Cape Town nurseries
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 19:45:21 PM »
Claus,

I will make up a list of my local favourites and others during the weekend and post it here. One more that comes to mind, have you been to the Bracken Nursery near the Cape Gate Shopping Centre. They have a huge number of neglected Succulents at the back of the nursery which one can negotiate for a good price. I picked up some nice Bromeliads there in the past.

I agree with your stand about the local big names because there is nothing new or different.

Offline Johan & Paula

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 22:13:41 PM »
Here is a link to make a start.

http://www.trees.org.za/Nurseries/1-0.html
Johan Steyn : Clivia, amarilla,bamboo, Aloe, Arum, Acacia. Plumer,handy man,Metal furniture.
+27 72203-2391
Paula van Rensburg: Software devlopment, support & training, bookkeeping 082 303-7092

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 22:13:41 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Heinie

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 08:37:57 AM »
Johan,
That is a very good link and there are many more to be found on websites but the problem I find with the Nurseries and Garden Centres that have web sites are mostly the bigger guys where one does not normally find the very special item that has been sitting there for 8 years or more and the price have never increased with age but the plant has increased in size. Those are my favourite sites to visit and I assume that is what Claus is referring too as well.

One such nursery is a very tiny one in the main street of Sea Point. You can hardly move around amongst the dis-organised plants and the area is not much bigger than my double garage. Another is one on the main street in Kalk Bay, next to the Brass Bell restaurant, with the same price structure where I found large Bromeliads for R12 which I did not have. I asked the owner if he had a Strelitzia juncea because it was the only one I did not have in my garden yet. He gave it a thought and said that he had a few a long time ago and started digging amongst a few large shrubs. He pulled out one that was probably the only one. When I noticed the price, I paid for it and took it to my car before he could change the 5 year old price from R25 to a updated one of around R125. I then went back and dug for more of these bargains. That was during this year and the plant was in a 10 litre plastic bag and will probably flower soon with two large off shoots too. That is what I look for in a nursery.  ;)

I do not know the names of all the nurseries, because it is not my prority, but I sniff them out in my travels and nursery crawls. There is another one in Wellington where I recently bought a very large Aloe of almost 2 metres tall in a 20 litre plastic bag with about 20 or more off shoots for R120. They have one more. They have 3 Kokerboom trees of well over one metre tall for R300. I had to ask Wallie to arrange a truck to collect it to bring to my house because it obviously would not have fitted in a car. I will still post a photo of it for ID later perhaps today.

Pardon the long winded post but I will have to start thinking of more of these "unknown" nurseries.

Offline Claus

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Heinie and Johan

Thanks a million for these leads - this is exactly what I was looking for and I completely agree with you Heinie that the small nursesies where plants are collecting dusts are the ones most well woth visitting.

It is an absoluetly stunning winter/spring morning here in Cape Town so hading out for a bit of a nursery meandering very soon.

Heinie when did you go to the Wellington nursery - would love to get my hands on one of the tall koekerbooms.... And I have heard about Bracken nursery but actually never been there even though it is very close to Emile's place. 

Heinie

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 14:24:24 PM »
Claus,
I was at the nursery in Wellington about 3 weeks ago. Here are the directions to it because I am not sure of the name.

When you come into Wellington turn right at the church into the main street. Drive along main street and pass all the shops. Cross over the first stop street. Cross over the second stop street and about 200 metres after that turn into a gravel road to the right that leads off on an angle in the direction you were travelling. The nursery is at the end of this gravel road. There is not a huge selection of plants but everything is yester year's prices. The Kokerbooms are on the right as you enter through the gate behind the tree.

Offline Claus

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 20:55:48 PM »
Thanks Heinie - I will try it out.

Went to Hout Bay but Barry's out of town and he has closed his daylilly nursery on Sundays in August. Came back through Sea Point and visitted the small nursery in main eoad - did not fin anything too intersting, although they had a quite a few succulents.

Then later in the afternoon I zooted over to Kirstenbosch and was very happy to see new lithops and I ended uo buyng 6 of these lovely little plants. Also did a turn at Starke Ayres, but their stock does not turn around quickly and they have the same old quivertrees that they have had for years - at exorbiant prices.....

Will explore some more next weekend!

Heinie

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 21:05:11 PM »
Nice trip you had Claus. I will work on the list for you and complete it during the week then for next weekend if you do not mind waiting a little because we have to enjoy these lovely winter days outdoors now. At least you know where Barry is now. I am not too keen on Starke Ayres too and Rachel is even less impressed with them. Where are you Rachel.

Heinie

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 13:45:18 PM »
Claus,

I almost forgot about this. Here are a few nurseries I visit from time to time. I do not include the big commercial guys here. There is a nice one in Malmesbury but I cannot think of the name.

Aspidistra Nursery ? Lynedoch
Bracken Nursery, 15 Springbok Road. Langeberg Ridge
Country Craft Nursery, De bron Road. Brackenfell
Die Waentjie Kwekery, Langeberg Road. Durbanville
Dr Boomslang, Station Road. Retreat
Ferndale Nurseries, Brommersvlei Road, Constantia
Gan Eden,Vissershok Road. Durbanville
Good Hope Nursery, Cape Point Road, Scarborough
Grey Heron Cactus Nursery. Langeberg Ridge
Harry Goemans Nursery ? Bergcliet
Just Plants, Kruisfontein Road. Brackenfell
Klipfontein Country Nursery, Tulbagh
McPherson Garden Centre. Table View
Paarl Nursery. Paarl
Paarl Vallei Nurseries. Paarl
Sandown Nursery. Table View
Sea Point Nursery, 56A Regent Road. Sea Point
Steyns Nursery. Close to Toos van den Berg
Toos Van Den Berg Garden Village. Stellenbosch Road

They may not be what you like but I always find something at them that is interesting. Perhaps the Cape Town members can add to the list for you if I forgot some interesting ones.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 13:52:09 PM by Heinie »

Offline Claus

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 17:29:28 PM »
Heinie

Thanks a million - this is exactly what I needed and I will start exploring some of them hopefully this weekend already (think I might do Paarl and Wellington tomorrow morning - weather is supposed to be pretty nice again) as there are lots of nurseries on your list that I haven't even heard about before. I am sure that I will find something I like at each and every one of them...still waiting for that increase to materialise and I heard the word bonus as well, so I should be able to size upp my collection considerably - and hopefully buy a big house in Cape Town one of these days for all the plants to find a real place called home.

I really appreciate the effort of you putting this list together - thx again.

Offline Claus

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 18:07:49 PM »
So I am just back from a great esacpe to the winelands - first stop Wellington where I visited the little Leurivier(?) nursery that Heinine gave me directions to. What an interesting place where inflation never hit and plants are practically given away....I scooped up a massive crassula in a cone shaped hanging baske for R30 !!!!!! I was almost embarrassed and asked if it really was R30...and R30 it was. I am sure the pot itself is worth close to a R100 - the plant is priceless!!!!!  I will post a photo of in when I find some time to take a proper shot of it. I also picked up a rather large gasteria for R15 and a beautiful Gymnocalcium cactus for R30....What a treat. I did see the Kokerbooms there for R300, but I could not fit it into my car and I already have two that are growing well, so I decided to go the cheap route and leave them in Wellington.

Then I went to Paarl and what a glorious drive from Wellington to Paarl. Stopped at Florida nursery on the way but did not see many temptations in the succulent selection. They did have well priced big strelitzias though....In Paarl I stopped at the nursery in the "Main| road that runs along the Paarl mountain. They had beautiful and well pried Aloe Bainsii's at R95 but again no space in my garden. Then off to Paarl nursery on the way to Franshoek and again the succulent collection was practically non-existing, but a few very beautif quiver trees (one with lots of small branches - almost looked like a Maiden's quiver tree) at R750 (outside my budget at the mo...). This route take you through some of the most amasing scenery in the country - absolutely stunning - especially like a sunny spring day like today!!!

On to Stellenbosch over the Helshogte pass - next stop the Stellenbosch Botanical Garden = Garden of Eden....Wauv what a serene place in the middle of Stellenbosch Dorp, free entrance and just calmness all around except for the birds. Beautifull aloe gardens but unfortunately the two succulent houses were closed. I could however peak around the side of the houses and see most of the plants - impressive stuff. From there I went to Steyns Nursery just before Beyerskloof on my way to the N1. certainly not a place for succulent lovers and I compared prices on a few other things = very expensive. They do sem to have a big selection of plants. I asked a person there about succulents and cactae and she said that she could get them bought but she doen not grow them as they do not grow very fast.....I disagreed with her and found it a somewhat ignorant reply from a plant lover! Anyway - on to the N1 to hit Langeberg Road and find Bracken nursery where German Stefan is in charge. Interesting place and especially saw some impressive moon flowers at good prices. Again I was looking for succulents and he showed me a big selection that unfortunately all looked a bit overgrown and not treated for disease. So I went around the corner to Emile at Grey Heron and as always had a great talk and spent minimum two hours looking at all the beautiful plants. I told Emile about the Stellenbosch Botanical Gardens and their impressive Lithops collection and then he took me to another tunnel and wauv - it certainly beat what I saw in Stellenbosch - impressive!!!!

Eventually I bought a few plants that can brighten up the rockery come spring, and really felt that I had had one of the most amasing days. Back to Cape Town and show off my purchase. Next problem where do I hang this massive crassula....Must get in to some DIY work tomorrow.

Sorry for this long story but I just wanted to share my excitement as it was still fresh in my mind.

Next stop VanRhynsdorp and Klaas Vogds, but need to get my increase first ha ha! And then a trip to Obesa must be part of this year's calendar as well....But have to rent a van, I think!!!!

Gardener Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 18:07:49 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Michael

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 13:52:17 PM »
Claus,

I almost forgot about this. Here are a few nurseries I visit from time to time. I do not include the big commercial guys here. There is a nice one in Malmesbury but I cannot think of the name.

Aspidistra Nursery ? Lynedoch
Bracken Nursery, 15 Springbok Road. Langeberg Ridge
Country Craft Nursery, De bron Road. Brackenfell
Die Waentjie Kwekery, Langeberg Road. Durbanville
Dr Boomslang, Station Road. Retreat
Ferndale Nurseries, Brommersvlei Road, Constantia
Gan Eden,Vissershok Road. Durbanville
Good Hope Nursery, Cape Point Road, Scarborough
Grey Heron Cactus Nursery. Langeberg Ridge
Harry Goemans Nursery ? Bergcliet
Just Plants, Kruisfontein Road. Brackenfell
Klipfontein Country Nursery, Tulbagh
McPherson Garden Centre. Table View
Paarl Nursery. Paarl
Paarl Vallei Nurseries. Paarl
Sandown Nursery. Table View
Sea Point Nursery, 56A Regent Road. Sea Point
Steyns Nursery. Close to Toos van den Berg
Toos Van Den Berg Garden Village. Stellenbosch Road

They may not be what you like but I always find something at them that is interesting. Perhaps the Cape Town members can add to the list for you if I forgot some interesting ones.

I needed this list a while ago, wish I had looked on the forum!
Let me add Jeffreys Bay's three privately owned nurseries:
Rona Nursery:
St Francis St

Plantelus kwekery:
19 Kersie Cres C-Plek

Wild olive Nursery:
Salie Street

Let's hear about more nurseries from your areas. I always look out for small nurseries in new towns, but probably miss the best ones that are hidden away.

Offline Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 14:05:58 PM »
The Malmesbury one is just Malmesbury Kwekery. But out in that area (kinda) you HAVE to visit Tulbach Bosbou Kwekery. Unbelievable nursery! It must be a couple of hectares and at wholesale prices.

There is also a little nursery in Riebeeck Wes which is tiny, but fun. Corne who runs it has horses, chickens, gunea pigs rabits and a dozen dogs all underfoot (horses excepted) while you browse.

Jon

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 16:30:28 PM »
Michael -

Trying to tempt us Capetonians hey....!

(BYW -  Bracken and Die Waentjie don't exist anymore.)

You can add:

Florida Padstal, near Wellington
Voor Groenberg Nursery, Wellington
St Omer's, Paarl
There's also an orchid nursery outside Paarl -not sure of name - Voor Paardeberg

Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Offline Michael

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 19:15:59 PM »
There's a nice list of nurseries in KZN on this page:
http://www.indigenousplantsale.org.za/html/links.html